Monday, January 15, 2007

Sometimes my kids make me think about things that I wouldn't ordinarily think much about. As I was tucking in my kindergarten-age daughter last night, I said something about having so much fun this weekend, that she gets to have another day off! With her best "silly daddy" look, she said, "no, daddy, tomorrow is Martin Luther King, Jr Day!"

During the course of the conversation that followed, it struck me as to how incredibly hard, 40+ years hence, it is to explain segregation. It never really made sense to me growing up, but I lived in a largely homogeneous place. My kids have had the benefit of living in a more heterogeneous environment - especially in their schools - and it really really doesn't make sense to them. Madelyn understands that segregation means that her "dark skinned" friend couldn't be in her class. And that would make her sad.

So this got me to thinking. I'm sure segregation made at least some sense to somebody several decades ago, even though I can't make sense of it now. But this makes me wonder what social injustice is our current society imposing that won't make any sense to the kids getting tucked in in fifty years?

No comments: